Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mirror Mirror

"Mirror Mirror on the wall".....

one of the most famous fairy tale lines isn't it?

I bet we can all finish the next line but do we really want to admit that we might not be "the fairest of them all?"

I stood in the bathroom tonight. Looking at my face in the mirror. My reflection stared back at me.

"Am I good enough?"

The thought burst into my head.

"Am I acceptable?"

Is that the heart's cry of every young person?

Cause it certainly has been the cry of my heart ever since I can remember.

But I have learned to try to answer my question, to talk to myself. Because I can never be acceptable. Never be good enough. There will always be another record to break, another goal to set, another person to please.

Then a thought pops into my head, "God has accepted you".

And I feel heartened. For this is not just a simple feel good statement. This is a truth that is built on the foundation of the Word of God. I was born a sinner. Unacceptable to God and hostile towards Him.

"For the wages of sin is death but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord". Romans 6:23
"For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13

Because of my sin I was unacceptable to God but because of Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross paying the penalty for me I am good enough. Not because of some great thing I have done but because Jesus lived a perfect life for me.

Now when God looks at me He sees not the sins I have commited but Jesus' righteousness.

 "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21

I can't always remember that though. I believe the lie that I must work to be acceptable. I look in the mirror and see all the flaws.

So I must speak truth to myself.

I must tell myself, "You are beautifully and wonderfully made" Psalm 139:14

I must remind myself, "Who can separate us from the love of Christ?" Romans 8:35

I must stand on the promise, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" Romans 8:1

Now for the challenge.....can I remember those verses when I stand in the mirror and think of all the mistakes I have made today?

"Lord please make it so!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! Please be considerate of the other readers. Thank you! God bless!